News

LATEST NEWS

Search

SEARCH

Google

Web www.howwood.com

VISITORS

No of Visits to this site since 1st January 2003

Community Council Meeting Minutes 2002

MINUTES OF MEETING HELD ON TUESDAY 14 MAY 2002

PLEASE NOTE CHANGE OF DATE FOR NEXT MEETING

PRESENT

Nick Walker, Millar Leon, David McKie, Gordon Weir, Robert Scarsbrook, Jean Mitchell, Craig Crawford, Rosee Macdonald, Ken Macdonald, Brian Young, Bill David, Norma David, Danny McAlister.

IN ATTENDANCE

Alison Ewing (Recycling Officer, Renfrewshire Council), Stuart Russell (Strathclyde Police), Terence Higgins, Christine Scarsbrook, Margie Stewart.

APOLOGIES

Linda Smith, Andrew Wilson, Grace Weir, Alistair Nimmo, Tom Currie, Evelyn Currie, David Bottomley, John Anderson.

MINUTES OF PREVIOUS MEETING

The Minutes of the 9.4.2002 meeting were accepted (prop. Robert Scarsbrook, sec. Rosee Macdonald).

POLICE REPORT

For March, 11 crimes reported and 1 detected; for April 12 and 7. April saw a series of thefts by housebreaking and by entering lockfast premises. A single Police action led to 3 people (including 2 locals) being charged in respect of 7 complaints. Some stolen property was recovered even though the thefts had not been reported. Residents should take extra care especially with vehicles and out-buildings, report all crimes and notify the Police of anything suspicious. Invisible marking of easily stolen items makes it easier for the crime to be proven and the goods to be returned.

MATTERS ARISING FROM MINUTES

Nothing other than issues covered elsewhere in the meeting.

RECYCLING

Alison Ewing informed CC that bins can be provided at about 2 weeks' notice for glass (3 colours) and cans (aluminium). The bins are large (1100 litre capacity) and on wheels to facilitate emptying which occurs once a week. The major concern is vandalism so location and security are important considerations. Discussion about venues ended by favouring somewhere near the Village Hall within an enclosure which could be locked overnight. CC to pursue this possibility with Alistair Nimmo and aim for a trial period. Paper and plastic recycling are not current possibilities as they involve separate processes and contracts not currently in place.

Door to door collection of organic waste is on trial in some parts of Renfrewshire, and may be extended to include Howwood when further funding is available. The draft Area Waste Plan is out for consultation now. Rumours of recycling materials being dumped in landfill sites are unfounded.

ROADS

Bowfield Road pot-holes were repaired on 14.5.2002, and the triangle and Main Street are to be completed within the next week or two. A large new pot-hole in Station Road will be reported. There are no further traffic calming measures planned for Howwood.

Parking and safety in Bowfield Road cause ongoing concerns, as does the phasing of the traffic lights in Spateston near St Cuthbert's Secondary School. CC to invite Roads Department representation at a CC meeting to discuss these issues (copy to Alistair Nimmo).

WATER

Concern abut Chlorine taste has been passed on to West of Scotland Water but there has been no further reply to that or the invitation to attend CC. CC to remind WSW.

WEB SITE & IT ISSUES

Ken Macdonald and Andrew Wilson attended Renfrewshire Council computer training and CC now has access to computer.

David McKie circulated village web site information and examples (attached, page 4). He sees 3 options for CC web site: Community Internet site (free but very restricted format); CC domain provided through Communities Internet (cheap but with limited capacity); CC domain provided by an independent provider (huge capacity including e-mail addresses but more expensive - c. £50 pa). Option 3 was agreed (prop. Nick Walker, sec. Brian Young).

Web site design and content should be planned as much as possible before implementation. David would like people's views and ideas. Please complete and return the attached questionnaire (page 5) by 31.5.2002 at the latest.

LIBRARY

There is no further word on the review of mobile libraries. This item to move to reserve agenda. CC to write for update.

HOWWOOD PLAYGROUND PROJECT

HPP plans a stall at the Fete and they have written requesting a contribution to their setting up and administrative expenses. CC agreed to contribute £100 (prop. Craig Crawford, sec. Norma David).

FETE & JUBILEE CELEBRATION

CC events: Fete 8.6.2002; History of Howwood evening ?11.6.2002 ?12.6.2002; Barbecue and Dance 15.6.2002.

Affiliated events: School dance 7.6.2002; joint churches service 9.6.2002; Howwood Wildlife and Woodlands walk 16.6.2002.

History Group is having more difficulty than expected gathering information and photographs, but there is progress. They will confirm whether or not a Fete week event will take place by 22.5.2002.

CC Fete Week Working Group has booked venues and applied for licences, and contacted local groups. Help for setting up, running and clearing up each event will be required, including transportation of people and goods. Offers of assistance to Brian Young or Bill David as soon as possible please.

Any ideas for 1950s games, etc. would be welcome. Jean Mitchell has an offer from Norma Gowers to make bunting.

COUNCILLOR'S REPORT (Given by Bill David in Councillor Nimmo's absence)

Nothing other than considered elsewhere.

CORRESPONDENCE
Community Councils' Forum

Brian Young and Bill David attended the inaugural meeting. The Forum brings CCs together to help and support each other, and to lobby Renfrewshire Council on matters of joint concern. Howwood CC has no formal role in the Forum but will be updated. Anyone interested in being HCC representative please let Bill or Brian know.

CC Newsletter

Renfrewshire Council will photocopy and fold our newsletters for £60. It was agreed to proceed. The Fete week programme will be included in the newsletter.

Association of Scottish Community Councils

HCC has joined and insured with ASCC. Special events require an additional insurance premium, but remains very competitive.

Carsewood House

Renfrewshire Council says there is no further progress on sale and redevelopment. The Council is aware of traffic issues in the area both with developers and as a result of any increase in residences.

Special Needs Education

An initial consultation including a questionnaire is available for anyone with an interest to complete (whether or not on CC). Deadline is 14.6.2002. For a copy of the papers, contact Andrew Wilson.

Hall Lets

Alistair Nimmo forwarded letters on the issue of reduced rate or free lets to address the increased demand for CC subgroups to meet in public. Relating to Lochwinnoch but equally relevant to Howwood, the response from Tom Scholes (Chief Executive, Renfrewshire Council) is unambiguous. The CC consultation prior to the change in CCs revealed no concerns over meeting requirements or hall lets, and the annual grant has increased to cover increased costs. Reduced rate or free lets would breach current Council policy.

Resignation

John Anderson has resigned from CC. Bill David thanked John for his contribution over recent years.

AOCB
Margaret Fraser

Bill David informed CC that Margaret Fraser died recently. Sympathies were extended to her family.

Dangerous bricks

Pellets of bricks present a potential danger near the Bowfield and Hill Roads junction, related to houses being built adjacent to the Priest's former house. It was suggested that the builder be contacted and that this was not an issue for CC, but after discussion it was agreed CC would raise concern with Environmental Health.

NEXT MEETING

NOTE CHANGE FROM ORIGINAL DATE

TUESDAY 18 JUNE 2002 AT 7.30 PM IN HOWWOOD VILLAGE HALL.

<< Back to Community Council Meeting Minutes 2002