News

LATEST NEWS

Search

SEARCH

Google

Web www.howwood.com

VISITORS

No of Visits to this site since 1st January 2003

Community Council Meeting Minutes 2006

MINUTES OF MEETING HELD ON TUESDAY 11 JULY 2006

PRESENT

Nick Walker, Robert Scarsbrook, Andrew Wilson, Bill David, Norma David, Christine Scarsbrook, Jackie Mackenzie, Grace Weir, Linda Smith, David McKie, Tom Purse, Douglas Paxton, Margie Stewart.

IN ATTENDANCE

Jim Anderson.

APOLOGIES

PC Tracy Knox.

MINUTES OF PREVIOUS MEETING

The Minutes of the 06.06.2006 meeting were adopted – Proposed by Grace Weir and Seconded by Bill David.

POLICE REPORT
  • Crime figures for June 2006
    • Howwood – 10 crimes with 6 detections; 1 Assault (detected), 2 attempted theft (detected), 3 vandalism, 1 car theft, 2 Road Traffic Act (detected), 1 neighbourhood dispute (detected).
  • Points Raised
    • Recent vandalism at Howwood Primary School was reported in local press. Secretary to advise press that publicity is unwelcome as this seems to encourage the vandals.
    • Sneak theft in Torbracken is similar to method deployed in Lochwinnoch a year ago
    • Villagers are warned to ensure door are locked even when in the garden.

    • A white van appears to be abandoned near the Village Hall. This is to be reported to police..
    • Police report that there have been no specific reports of Anti social behaviour in Howwood in last few weeks.
FETE
  • BD updated the meeting on outcome of the Fete.
  • Glasgow Wind Band - Financial account was presented at the meeting. Profit from the concert was £298.38. A donation of £60 for the Church was agreed. Feedback from both the community and the Band was very positive. CDs are available from the Post Office. Lessons learned – ensure better monitoring of the number of tickets sales.
  • Draft Financial account for the Fete was presented at the meeting. Estimated £1,026 was raised. A donation of £50 for St Andrews Ambulance was agreed.
  • Discussion on what went well, what did not and lessons learned.
  • Positives included – Dog Agility and the Bouncy Castle, which was much enjoyed by the children.
  • Negatives included – loss of income due to stall holders not turning up or turning up late
  • Lessons learned
  • Assign specific tasks to individuals
  • Consider a leaflet for stall holders explaining the terms and conditions of the booking especially regarding the 12 noon deadline for being set up
    fees for stalls to be collected in advance to negate the lost of income for ‘no shows’
    consider rate for stall fees.
  • Change date of Fete to avoid Kilbarchan Show – Secretary to check dates of other local events to avoid clashes.
  • Football competition new contact to be used for 2007
  • Fete 2007 activity needs to start in January 2007. Fete working group needs to be set up.
  • Order for Bouncy Castle needs to be placed in Dec 06/Jan 07 once the Fete date has been decided
  • DB was thanked for coordinating the Fete working group in 2006.
  • Thanks to volunteers for helping out and most importantly to villagers who supported the Fete

    .
PLANNING
Planning Application To Build A House In Howwood Inn Car Park

Due to the time scale for responding to the application members were circulated to in advance of the meeting. A letter of objection has been sent to Renfrewshire Council (RC) Planning & Transport highlighting concerns in the following areas - Parking and access problems, detrimental impact upon natural environment, visual impact of a modern building within the grounds of a listed building and proximity to neighbouring properties.

The intended site includes a large Lime tree, which is subject to process for a Preservation Order being granted. Secretary to confirm with RC the current status of the Preservation Order.

Outline Planning Application To Build A Pet Crematorium

No update on application. A villager is in favour of the proposed Pet Crematorium and disputed one of the grounds, impact of construction traffic, of the objection. Chair advised that main objection was on the grounds of the detrimental impact upon the environment on this important natural site.

PLANNING Cont
Old Carsewood House Site

A question was raised as to any objections raised for housing at the Old Carsewood House site. Chair advised that no planning application for this site had been received. Secretary will check status of this site with RC.

Full Planning Application for Agricultural Workers House

No update on application. There is no RC Planning meeting held in July.
Elliston Farm – 6 Houses Proposed Development.

RC has approved planning.

Wind Farm Between Lochwinnoch and Kilbirnie – Ladymoor Development

There has been no reply to invitation to attend a meeting from Wind Hydrogen Ltd.

It is understood the Scottish Executive will be issuing Wind Farm guidelines to local authorities

Community Council Forum meeting in Aug / Sep 2006 will chair a discussion on Wind Farming. HCC members will be invited to attend.

Response to survey remains poor with only 5 replies being received so far. Villagers are reminded that copies of the survey may be obtained from Fred’s shop, Post Office or WWW.Howwood.com. Please leave written responses at Howwood PO or e-mail your comments to [email protected].

Deconstruction Order For Decking - Linister

Secretary will check on status of the order.


ENVIRONMENT
Annual Bulb Planting / Triangle / Floral Displays

Agreement to plant bulbs again this autumn. Main target area is the Triangle but other sites will be considered. Bulb selection discussed and will include snowdrops and crocus. A budget of £300 was agreed.

Consider planting new raised beds in Triangle for summer colour once current planting is established.

RC provided hanging basket display for the Triangle. Secretary to write to RC to thank them for this wonderful display of colour.

SUSTRANS Access (Access to Cycle Track)3

Response to letters to land owners – one reply received to date. Further update at next meeting.

Note results of limited survey carried out at the Fete indicated that St Brides is the preferred route to the track and that more people would use the track if access from the village was available.

Mayfield Wasteland

Further discussion on failure of RC Planning in their statutory duty to enforce scheme of maintenance of the site. It is understood that Councillor Nimmo has also been in contact with RC on this matter. Residents impacted to write to Chief Executive RC and that failing to the Ombudsman.

Dog Bin/ Rubbish Bin in Park

New Dog Bin now installed but litterbin still awaited. Secretary to follow up with RC.
Howwood Wildlife and Woodlands (HWW) – Next Walk.

The next village walk is being organised for Saturday 29 July 2006. Meet at Triangle at 1:00pm. Poster will be organised. The walk will be lead by Derek Parker and the theme will be ‘Local History & Folklore’. MS to advise Church of Scotland.

ROADS
RC Roads Department Letter

A reply to the letter from HCC to RC Roads has been received. Scott Allan from Roads has been assigned to assist HCC with Roads issues. It was agreed to issue an invitation to Scott Allan to attend an initial meeting with members of HCC (TP, NW and DP). It was proposed to have regular updates from Roads at HCC meetings.

New Roads Matters Raised Last Meeting

Pavement at Bus Stop on Main Street at retaining wall – surface uneven possibly due to water ingress Matter will be raised with Roads and Scottish Water – No update.

Mayfield Crescent / Mayfield Drive junction – hole in road surface at water drain – no progress.

Station Road – Road Safety Issue

Further complaint of parked cars on junction of Station Road/ Main street and the lack of visibility for traffic entering Main Street from Station Road. Speed of traffic on Main Street which was subject of proposed traffic calming measures in 2005, which Roads has still to address, was again causing concern for villagers.

Road Safety Leaflets

Delivery of Roads Safety leaflets - not yet received. Expect update in September.
Impact of Overgrown Hedging on Pedestrian Traffic.

Complaint received regarding overgrown hedging impeding pedestrians. HCC to remind villagers of their responsibility to ensure that hedging is maintained to ensure that pedestrians are not impeded. An article will be written for local posters and for local press and village News Letter.

Signage for Local Walks3

A suggestion was made to have road signage include information that village has local walks available.

INFORMATION / WEB
Web
  • During June 2006 there were 23,000 visits to the web site.
  • Fete photographs are now on the web site.
  • Web working group will meet in July to discuss changes to the web site.
  • Suggestion to retain email addresses for News Letter / survey distribution
News Letter
  • Next News Letter is proposed for September 2006.
  • Articles will include – St Andrew’s Family Ceilidh, hedge maintenance, new local shop and survey
  • Draft to be available for August meeting.
  • Secretary to contact local groups for input
Survey Results from Limited Sample
  • A limited survey was carried out at the Fete on topics including – A737 access, Wind Farm and SUSTRANS access. Finding indicate majority of village are concerned with access to A737 and that most use the Kilbarchan slip road rather than Howwood junction.
  • Mixed result on Wind Farm with 4 for, 9 against and 9 undecided
  • Speed of traffic through the village is a concern
  • The Triangle is being enjoyed
  • Parking at Station Road is not always a problem
  • The survey will be included in next News Letter for a wider view
6 St Andrew’s Family Ceilidh – Saturday 25 November 2006
  • A Ceilidh is to be arranged for 25 November at the Village Hall from 6:30 to 11:30pm
  • Family tickets will be available, prices to be confirmed
  • Working group has been set up – AW,GW, ND and CS. First meeting to be held on Friday 21 July 2006 at 7:30 at Kirktonholm
  • Howwood Primary School wish to take part in the entertainment
  • Food, bar and licence to be arranged
OTHER MATTERS ARISING
  • Village Hall and Kitchen – HCC have been advised that replacement cooker is a priority.
  • Christmas Lights – Costs are in the region of £2,500 – 4,000 dependant upon the number of trees to be lit and number of light strings required. Advice indicates that 2 x 4 strings will be required. An application for Grant funding from Awards for All will be raised. Awaiting confirmation from RC re ownership of the intended site to complete the funding application. Rev D Stewart will be asked if he is willing to act as independent referee for the application.
  • Community of the Year – HCC entry has been submitted. Judging will take place in Sep 2006.
  • New Shop – HCC wrote to Licensing in connection with their decision to reject off sales licence application for the new shop on the grounds of ‘Over provision’. It is unclear from the Licensing minutes why the decision was taken. A new shop with later opening times was one of the desired facilities identified by villagers as part of the Village Design Plan and the Licensing decision means that no buyer is willing to trade from the premises. Secretary will contact Councillor Nimmo for clarification as to why the views of the village were not considered, cc to Alex Hewetson and Licensing. This matter will be raised within the next News Letter.
  • Local Government Boundaries Review – No update
CORRESPONDENCE

As per the Agenda

  • RCVS report from Forum on Discrimination– Available from the Secretary.
  • Citizens Advice Bureau – AGM (past) & Board Membership DB agreed to attend the next meeting on 20 July 2006.
  • RC Corporate Services Dept Annual Report – Available from the Secretary
  • SNP Policies Paper– HCC will not respond to the paper but will feedback that HCC is non political per the constitution and as such cannot and will not respond to such enquiries.

A.O.C.B.
Broadband

Report of further problems with BT Broadband which may have been due to recent upgrade to Kilbarchan Exchange

AGM

It was agreed to hold the AGM on 10 October 2006 in the Village Hall. AGM for HWW will also take place on the same evening.

NEXT MEETING

Next meeting date – Tuesday – 8 August 2006, Howwood Village Hall at 7:30 pm (NB: confirmed as Village Hall)

Thereafter second Tuesday monthly 12 September, 10 October, 14 November and 12 December

Contact Details Raised At Meetings
  • Police 01505 404000
  • Fly Tipping 08452 30 40 90
  • Antisocial Behaviour Help line 0800 169 1283
  • Youth Nuisance Help line 01505 325030
  • Renfrewshire Council 0141 842 5000
  • Roads & Lighting Faults 0141 842 4466 (M – F) 0141 889 2314
  • Dog Warden, Michelle Knox 0141 840 3164
  • Secretary, Andrew Wilson 01505 702 392
  • Village Web site www.howwood.com
  • Responses to Wind Farm Survey [email protected]

<< Back to Community Council Meeting Minutes 2006