News

LATEST NEWS

Search

SEARCH

Google

Web www.howwood.com

VISITORS

No of Visits to this site since 1st January 2003

Community Council Meeting Minutes 2007

MINUTES OF MEETING HELD ON TUESDAY 13 MARCH 2007

PRESENT

Nick Walker (Chair), Andrew Wilson (Secretary), Christine Scarsbrook, Jackie Mackenzie, Grace Weir, Linda Smith,Robert Scarsbrook (Vice Chair), Bill David (Treasurer), Norma David, David McKie, Margie Stewart, Douglas Paxton

IN ATTENDANCE

PC Andrew MacLeman, Marjory Deans, Scott Allan (Renfrewshire Council (RC), Roads), Cllr Sam Mullin (Vice Convener General Management Committee), Alex Hewetson (RC Community Council Liaison Officer), David Scott, Vince Carlton, Jackie Carlton

APOLOGIES

None

MINUTES OF PREVIOUS MEETING

The Minutes of the 13.2.2007 meeting were adopted – Proposed by Norma David and Seconded by Linda Smith.

POLICE REPORT
  • December 2006
    • Details will be given at 10 April 2007 meeting
  • February 2007
    • 3 crimes; 1 Road traffic offence (detected), 1 Assault (detected), 1 Theft from motor vehicle (detected)
  • Points raised
    • Report on road traffic accident at Station Road in February noted that speeding and not paying attention were contributory factors
    • Vandalism at Church of Scotland – no progress as yet
    • At Bowfield Road car broken into had a Satellite Navigation device stolen. Police advised that this type of theft is popular at the moment. Villagers are advised that even if such devices are locked away in the car tell tale signs on the dashboard can alert thieves and may cause cars to be broken into.
    • Recent incidence of 6 to 10 youths drinking and acting in a threatening manner towards motorists near the Station Car Park area. The male youths, 16/17 years of age were reported to police but dispersed before police arrived. Villagers are asked to report such incidences to the police.
    • Howwood Sports & Hobbies group have been granted funding from the Chief Constable’s Wellbeing Fund
    • Lights at road works at Corseford – no information on completion date.
    • Police were thanked for dropping into the Scottish Evening on 17 February 2007.
CLLR SAM MULLIN & ALEX HEWETSON

Chair introduced Cllr Mullin and Alex Hewetson (AH) and welcomed them to the meeting.

AH explained that Cllr Mullin’s remit includes responsibility for Community Councils. Cllr Mullin has visited all Community Councils in RC area. The purpose of the visit is to hear first hand the views of CCs on services provided by RC and experiences thereof.

AH advised that his office provides assistance with applications for raising grant funding from Awards for All and other external funding bodies. There has been a 100% success rate over the past 7 months with grant funding applications. Groups wishing assistance with grant applications should contact AH via HCC.

Cllr Mullin thanked HCC for the invitation to attend the meeting and explained that RC is trying to improve both responses to enquiries and the speed of those responses. During his regular visits to CCs Cllr Mullin stated that he had learned a great deal and appreciates the efforts of CCs in giving communities a voice.

Feedback from HCC

Secretary gave specific feedback of experiences of RC.

  • John Smart of Planning is very courteous in his responses.
  • AH does a grand job
  • Graham Tennant of Environmental Services is very helpful and pleasant to deal with.
  • Since Scott Allan (SA) has been assigned to deal with HCC’s Roads matters there has been an improvement in communications with Roads. Previous experience with Roads was appalling.

Chair highlighted the issue of not knowing who to contact within RC on specific matters. Advice given that AH can assist in these instances. CC has found an improvement in communications over the years.

It is important that CC has direct access to RC in cases where elected representatives cannot deal with a matter.

  • Cllr Mullin expressed appreciation for the feedback on how to improve council performance
  • In response to question from Chair AH advised that he hopes that a CC Forum meeting, which has not been convened since the Wind Farm debate, can be arranged in next 3 or 4 weeks or after the May elections.
CLLR SAM MULLIN & ALEX HEWETSON CONT.

Information given by AH on use of Authority Buying Consortium (ABC) for purchase of equipment. HCC agreed to joint ABC. Membership is free.

ROADS
  • Scott Allan provided an update on matters previously raised and addressed questions raised at the meeting
  • National Cycle Route – SUSTRANS have found a mechanism to fund
  • Road Works including White Cart Viaduct and Renfrew Town Centre – RC web site improved and now giving regular up to date information on traffic issues. Updates are often within hours.
  • SA explained that speed of response to enquiries had been improved from 6 weeks to 2/3 days since new systems had been put in place. Feedback is required highlighting any problems with communications. Chair stated that since SA attendance at meeting there has been reduced need to correspond with Roads.
  • AW is to meet with Roads Safety Officer
  • Speed activated sign – Howwood is high on priority list. Sign to be installed next RC financial year.
  • Community Speed Watch sign – this initiative had some radio and press coverage. If the initiative is to be rolled out in Renfrewshire SA will get in touch with the CC.
  • Midton Road accumulation of rubbish and detritus in drainage ditch – this should be cleared up shortly. SA to chase up.
  • Upper Midton Road towards Skiff Wood – the concern raised at last meeting regarding lack of gritting on this road was discussed. Local business experienced non delivery of goods during last snow. SA still awaiting response from area responsible for gritting.
  • Bus shelter seating – funding source not identified. Cost c400 may be provided by CC. Secretary to contact ABC for firm price. SA to provide specification to AH. AH will pursue other funding source.
  • Bus stop at Church of Scotland – space limitation is likely cause of not providing a shelter. This is to be confirmed.
  • Matters raised from update
    • Bus shelter vandalism should be reported to Adshel. Number to contact is on top front of shelter.
  • New Roads Matters Raised
    • Howwood Village Shop (new shop) long term parking at parking bay intended for customer use is causing difficulties for deliveries and customers wishing to shop. A traffic accident occurred in this area recently. Shop owners requested marking / signage to indicate area is for short term parking for shoppers only. SA to come up with a draft proposal for solution.
    • Main Street / Station Road speeding, parking and road layout issues and possible solutions discussed. This needs to be investigated.
    • From Station Road/ Bridesmill Road / Kibbleston Road / Tandlehill Road. Condition of these roads is horrendous especially in light of the volume of traffic using these roads. SA advised that Bridesmill Road is due for resurfacing in May / June 2007. SA advised that he hoped for improvements toTandlehill Road shortly. Rural roads suffering from inadequate drainage. Matter of poor response time regarding pot holes raised e.g. report of over a week for Kibbleston Road. SA explained the process and call centre duties for reporting roads matters. SA wishes to hear feedback on call centre response times. SA to check on reported slow response time re street lighting issue in Linwood area.
  • SA was invited to attend the meeting on 8 May 2007.

Note : Chair and Secretary left meeting and this point, due to prior commitments and duties passed to the Vice Chair.

SCOTTISH EVENING

Feedback from senior villagers on this event was very positive. Vice Chair thanked all who contributed to the evening with special thanks to the Brownies for their wonderful performance.

Treasurer provided breakdown of costs for the event. Net cost was 358.22.

FETE - 23 JUNE 2007

Brief discussion on progress. Topic was deferred to Working Group meeting to be held Friday 16 March 2007.

Vice Chair thanked new shop owners for their kind offer to donate a raffle prize and help sell raffle tickets.

PLANNING

Pet Crematorium – Land at Midton Wood, Midton Road

Consultation on Planning Application notice received for Planning Permission in outline. Papers, including environmental impact assessment and plans available from Secretary. HCC will respond with similar observations per last application i.e. not in favour. Response required by 26 Mar 2007.

House in Howwood Inn Car Park

HCC lodged objection to planning application. Decision by Planning is awaited.

ENVIRONMENT
Village Clean Up – 24 & 25 March 2007at 2pm

Helpers required to tackle the clean up. Meet at Triangle at 2pm on both days

Litter picking devises are available but due to high cost decision made not to purchase bag holders

CC expressed appreciation and thanks to Douglas Murray from Elliston for making an early start on the clean up. Mr Murray has been picking up rubbish to the west of the village.

Rubbish and Compost Collection

Door to door collection – Mayfield Court still experiencing non collection of bins

INFORMATION / WEB
Web
  • Visits for February 2007 – 15000
  • Photographs of the Scottish Evening now on the site.
  • Clear up of the site is ongoing.
OTHER MATTERS ARISING
  • Accounts & Signatories – CS will confirm position with Bank
  • Citizens’ Advice Bureau – BD will attend – date of meeting to be advised.
  • Invoice for Christmas Lights – Invoice still not received.
CORRESPONDENCE

As per the Agenda

  • Scotways – Newsletter and Subscription Reminder – Newsletter distributed at meeting and is available from Secretary. Treasurer to check when subscription was paid.
  • RCVS Newsletter- Newsletter is available from Secretary.
  • RC Leisure / Activity for health consultation (due 31/3/07). Papers with the Secretary.
  • RC Scottish Election Monitoring Project – Request for volunteers to monitor the Scottish elections. Tasks include collection of leaflet that come through the door, keeping record of telephone calls and doorstep visits from political parties and the completion of a short survey about experiences of Election Day. Anyone wishing to take part please contact the Secretary for details. AW and BD indicated they wished to take part.
A.O.C.B.

No other business raised

NEXT MEETING

Tuesday 10 April 2007 at 7:30 pm Howwood Village Hall

Thereafter, second Tuesday monthly – 10 April 2007, 8 May 2007(SA, Roads to attend), 12 June 2007, 10 July 2007, 14 August 2007, 11 September 2007 etc.

Contact Details
  • Aircraft Noise Telephone line
    :
    0141 848 4644 (answer machine)
  • Antisocial Behaviour Help Line
    :
    0800 169 1283
  • Dog Warden, Michelle Knox
    :
    0141 840 3164
  • Glasgow Wind Band, R & C Scarsbrook
    :
    01505 704083 [email protected]
  • Fly Tipping
    :
    0845 230 4090
  • Minicoach Tours
    :
  • Police
    :
    01505 404000
  • Renfrewshire Council
    :
  • R.C. Roads email address
    :
  • Roads & Lighting Faults
    :
    0141 842 4466 (M-F), 0141 889 2314
  • Scottish Water Contact
    :
    0141 355 5187
  • Secretary, Andrew Wilson
    :
    01505 702392 [email protected]
  • Village Web Site
    :
  • Youth Nuisance Help Line
    :
    01505 325030

<< Back to Community Council Meeting Minutes 2007