News

LATEST NEWS

Search

SEARCH

Google

Web www.howwood.com

VISITORS

No of Visits to this site since 1st January 2003

Community Council Meeting Minutes 2008

MINUTES OF MEETING HELD ON TUESDAY 8 APRIL 2008

PRESENT

Robert Scarsbrook (Chair), Linda Smith (Vice Chair), Andrew Wilson (Secretary), Christine Scarsbrook (Minutes), Bill David (Treasurer), Norma David, Jackie Mackenzie, Grace Weir, Nick Walker, Margie Stewart

IN ATTENDANCE

Andy Summers RC Environmental Services, Councillor Iain McMillan, Councillor Tracie McGee, Councillor John Hood, PC Andrew MacLeman, Bill Binks

APOLOGIES

Douglas Paxton, Councillor John Caldwell

MINUTES OF PREVIOUS MEETING

Correction to previous minutes; Jackie McKenzie should read Jackie Mackenzie, correspondence from Scottish Government Community Policy should read Scottish Government Community Policing and email addresses in contact details are to be updated.

Approval of the minutes of the meeting of 11 March 2008 were proposed by Nick Walker and seconded by Margie Stewart.

POLICE REPORT

There were 5 crimes / offences reported – 2 thefts of plant at cycle track works, 1 theft of a trailer, 1 vandalism (detected), 1 fire raising.

Matters Discussed
  • Mounted police can attend the Fete, operational demands permitting
  • Notification of recent changes to police shift patterns.
  • Information given on change to police ‘resource allocation model’ due in May 2008. The change will mean a reduction in police numbers in this area, from 15 to 8 officers. Exactly how the role of community police officers will change is not yet clear. Concerns raised on this matter will be raised with the officer in charge.
  • HCC express appreciation for the work of PC Tracy Knox McLean and wished her well in her new deployment.
MATTER ARISING
  • Scottish Parliament request for views on Community Policing - Members will be emailed with details. Comments to be returned to NW as soon as possible
  • Consultation on ASCC – This was completed on behalf of HCC and returned. Copy available from the Secretary. Individuals were also invited to respond.
ENVIRONMENTAL
Update from Andy Summers
  • Park proposals - Date of meeting between interested parties has been arranged for 22 April 2008 at the pavilion at 10am.
  • Pavilion demolition – this can be done and will be discussed at the park proposals meeting.
  • Christmas lights power capacity – HCC are considering funding an increased number of light strings at the Triangle and seek advice on the current capacity of the power supply. AS will investigate this matter.
  • Storm damage to trees at the park – concerns had been raised on the safety of some of the damaged trees but upon investigation Environmental Services had concluded that there was no imminent danger. One tree in particular is causing concern and AS undertook to review the matter.
  • Brown Bin collection – notification leaflets have now been distributed. The first collection this season will be on Friday 11 April with two weekly collections thereafter.
  • George Street bins – letters have been sent to residents regarding the bins being left out and causing obstruction. AS will monitor the situation.
  • Grass cutting – concerns had been raised about grass not being picked up after grass cutting at both the Triangle and the Village Hall. AS advised that cuttings should now be getting picked up and this was welcomed by the HCC. AS also advised that the verges going out of the village will also now be cut.
  • Village Clean up – a request for the council to clear the rubbish accumulated at the village exits before the village clean up had been made but there was insufficient time for this activity. AS advised that the Council will tackle these areas in future. Midton Road, the park and the village exits were identified as areas worthy of the Council’s attention. AS indicated that a change of Council policy on enforcement against littering and dog fouling is expected shortly. HCC requested a bigger skip for next year.
  • AS will provide next update by email. Next attendance will be the Oct 2008 meeting.
ENVIRONMENTAL Cont..
Other Environmental Matters Raised
  • Hedging overhanging between Howwood Main Street east and bend before Midton Road is causing obstruction – AS to investigate
  • Incidence of bin not being emptied at Main Street was reported
  • Village Clean up days – poor turn out on the Saturday possibly as a result of wet weather. Sunday saw around 12 people. Chair thanked all who attended with special thanks to Councillors Hood and McMillan, Howwood Inn and Brian Young for transport.
  • Garden Competition – Howwood Wildlife and Woodland will organise a garden competition on behalf of HCC. There will be two categories
    • for children “design a garden” which will be judged at the fete. Details will be made available to the school.
    • for adults ‘best garden’ judging will take pace in August. Registration forms and details will be ready for the run up to the fete. There will be a 3 person judging panel including Councillor John Hood.
  • Core Path Plan latest booklet has been received from the Access Officer. This version included previous feedback from HCC. Copy available from the Secretary.
  • Access from Station Road to Garthland Bridge is the missing link between Howwood and the cycle path. Looking for update on this matter from Scott Allan.
  • Concern raised at the danger of joining the cycle path from Howwood caused by poor access and speeding traffic from Garthland Bridge to cycle track. Details will be put in writing.
PLANNING
  • Nothing of interest advised.
  • Carsewood site – no further information available
COUNCILLORS ISSUES
  • Cllr T McG - Village Hall Football ban impact upon Sports and Hobbies Group. In common with similar premises throughout Renfrewshire a ban on football in the hall was implemented by Renfrewshire Council after the recent Village Hall refurbishment. It is understood that a trial period using lighter balls for games will take place over a 6 week period. As with all users of public property the Group will be liable for any damage to property. Cllr TMcG will advise outcome of the trail. Cllr TMcG also advised that she had attended a site visit with Scott Allan regarding the pot holes in and around the village
  • Cllr IMcM - provided an update on revised duties for Neighbourhood Wardens which will include some enforcement activity. There was welcome news that the current demarcation between litter pickers and grass cutters has been removed. This should result in better service. Cllr IMcM also advised that the HCC will receive an invitation to attend the inaugural meeting of the new Local Area Committee due to be held at Johnstone Town Hall on 5 June 2008. It is hoped that the meetings will be spread throughout the area and will not just be held in Johnstone.
  • Cllr JH thanked HCC for their good wishes whilst he was off work and looks forward to getting back on board.
  • Other Matters Raised
    • Speeding through the village was again raised as a matter of concern.
CORRESPONDENCE
  • Senior Citizens voucher / outing scheme. Information received about the annual 22 given to those who are 70 or about to be 70. The money can be given as a voucher, a trip or as money off Council Tax bill. Details available from the Post Office.
  • CCTV – petition to the Scottish Parliament. There is an e-petition about CCTV the details are available through this link, http://epetitions.scottish.parliament.uk/view_petition.asp?PetitionID=228
  • Consultation on Local Area Committees – HCC wanted to be represented at the meetings and this has now been agreed. Documentation has been received and is available from the Secretary
  • Postwatch Newsletter. Announcement regarding local post office closures is expected in June 2008. Copy of the newsletter is available from the Secretary
AOCB
Fete 21 June 2008
  • Glasgow Windband Concert will be held in Howwood Parish Church on Friday 13 June 2008 at 7:30 pm
  • Raffle tickets need to be printed but this has been delayed due to licence from Renfrewshire Council being outstanding since application in Dec 2007. Cllr JH to assist.
  • Raffle prize for EXscape voucher for 100 has been agreed.
  • Kilbarchan Pipe Band still be to confirmed for a slot between 2 – 3pm
  • Show people will provide slides and games, candy floss and snack bar.
  • Ice cream van still to be arranged
  • There is sufficient details to draft the flyers
  • Mounted police can attend, operational matters permitting
  • Stalls progressing, update expected later this month.
AOCB Cont…
Data Protection Act
  • NW provided information on the DPA requirement. Conclusion is that CCs will have to register. A letter is to follow from the Council. A data controller needs to be appointed but the legal liability upon this person needs to be considered as will the insurance cover provision. In addition there is an annual fee for registration of 35 which needs to be met but this will not be covered by the annual administration grant provided by the Council.
  • Discussion on who is best placed to be data controller. A working group meeting to be arranged to discuss the matter further.
Village Survey 2008
  • NW provided an overview of the surveys received to date. Final results will be complied over the coming weeks.
NEXT MEETING

Tuesday 13 May 2008 Howwood Village Hall (Scott Allan, RC Roads, in attendance).

Thereafter, second Tuesday monthly – 10 June 2008, 8 July 2008, 12 August 2008 etc.

Contact Details
  • Aircraft Noise Telephone line
    :
    0141 848 4644 (answer machine)
  • Antisocial Behaviour Help Line
    :
    0800 169 1283
  • Dog Warden, Michelle Knox
    :
    0141 840 3164
  • Glasgow Wind Band, R & C Scarsbrook
    :
    01505 704083 [email protected]
  • Fly Tipping
    :
    0845 230 4090
  • Minicoach Tours
    :
  • Police
    :
    01505 404000
  • Renfrewshire Council
    :
  • R.C. Roads email address
    :
  • Roads & Lighting Faults
    :
    0141 842 4466 (M-F), 0141 889 2314
  • Scottish Water Contact
    :
    0141 355 5187
  • Secretary, Andrew Wilson
    :
    01505 702392 [email protected]
  • Village Web Site
    :
  • Youth Nuisance Help Line
    :
    01505 325030

<< Back to Community Council Meeting Minutes 2008